The most frequent thing I get asked about on this blog is how did I get started? I wish I had some grand, amazing story to share, but I pretty much started blindly. I knew I wanted to up my social media profile because I was just beginning to query, and blogging seemed a great way to achieve that goal.
At first I only published sporadically. I was very hesitant about what I wanted to share and was still learning how to work with WordPress. Slowly but surely after about six months of posts, I got into a rhythm and have been going strong ever since.
I know starting a blog can be a daunting task, so here are my top 10 hints that will hopefully take some of the fear and worry out of starting your own:
- Pick a topic you feel comfortable talking about on a regular basis.
- Select days when you’re going to publish and be faithful about posting on those days. This helps drive your views and subscribers.
- Read other blogs similar to yours. Learn what works and what doesn’t.
- Comment on other blogs. Many times those folks will come and check out your blog too.
- Be authentic. Share who you really are and what you hope to accomplish with the blog.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out to other people in your niche area and ask them to guest post. Many times they will want to contribute because it helps with their own exposure.
- When you approach someone for an interview ALWAYS be professional. State clearly why you are contacting them, what you are requesting, and offer a proposed deadline.
- Leave your posts open-ended. Ask for feedback or comments. This is important because it helps connect you to your readers. My rule of thumb is to always try and reply to the comments as they come in. If someone takes the time to share their thoughts, you should acknowledge them.
- Use social media to help promote your posts. Not only do I use Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook, but I also promote my posts via AgentQuery Connect. With my series like Quite The Query or Writer Odyssey Wednesday (W.O.W.), I ask the participating writers to signal boost via their own social media platforms as well.
- Last, but NOT least-don’t stress! Have fun with your posts. Try new things. Force yourself outside your comfort zone. You will find the process very rewarding!
If you’re thinking about starting your own blog but still have questions, I’m always happy to talk to you. Shoot me a note in the comments and I will get back to you.